This page includes curated resources and materials for use by teacher education students in my class, PED 3141: Curriculum Planning, Implementation and Assessment at the University of Ottawa. (It is currently under construction — July 4, 2016).
Students in PED3141 are just beginning their journey as teachers. This is one of the very first courses they take in their professional preparation program, which means they have a lot of questions about what it means to teach, how to teach, how to plan lessons, units of study, and assess student learning effectively.
The resources I curate here are written by experts in the field whose recommendations are informed by rigorous, peer-reviewed research. Teacher candidates, take note: The Internet is FILLED with websites that offer quick lesson plans, ideas for what to teach on Monday morning, and pre-made rubrics that seem like brilliant, “just-add-water” solutions. These resources are certainly very tempting; they have been designed to solve the time-pressure problem that every teacher feels! However, I encourage you to RESIST and use this precious time during your teacher preparation program to learn effective frameworks and strategies for curriculum planning, assessment and methods of instruction that have received support in the research literature so that you can EVALUATE the validity of resources, and assess the extent to which they will serve YOUR students, in YOUR context and in alignment with the expectations that YOU must address through your practice.
On Teaching Literacies
Duke, N.K. (2016, June) What doesn’t work: Literacy practices we should abandon. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/literacy-practices-we-should-abandon-nell-k-duke
- RT @uOttawaArts : PM Trudeau: You will measure your success not by what you have gotten from the world but what by you can give to your comm… 1 week ago
- RT @uOttawaEdu : Ottawa, Toronto and Windsor are you guys excited for your graduation ceremony this week? #uOttawaEdu #uOgrad http://t.co/l … 1 week ago
- Hey, @uOttawaEdu A great list of tools to increase teaching presence! via @ChadHWaldron cc @pgoldsmth13 http://t.co/SYtF50N14N 3 weeks ago
- #oosroving Only #norfolk wines on the menu tonight for #canada150 theme dinner. @BurningKilnWine http://t.co/1Iexriwpbu 3 weeks ago
- Presentation at CSSE-SCEE 2017 (Ryerson University)
- LittératiesNumériques.ca | DigitalLiteracies.ca
- The Digital Hub Project: New Data and Analyses
- The Canadian Institue for Digital Literacies Learning
- Why social-justice oriented digital citizenship matters: Viola Desmond, my tweet and its use by an alt-righter